The priorities of the Cooperation Fund for Water and Sanitation (FCAS) for the coming years include:
COMPLEMENTARY ACTIONS that enhance the sustainability of water and sanitation systems or complement the FCAS portfolio. Special emphasis is to be placed on the commitment to service improvement and institutional and community strengthening.
- Hydrological planning, river basin management, and basin organisation modelling.
- Support for public policies in the sector / planning through technical cooperation. This type of programme contributes to capacity-building in planning for Latin American water managers at the local, regional and national levels.
- Support for the management of water and sanitation services (sanitation, wastewater treatment and reuse) with the aim of making them sustainable, emphasising service quality.
- Support for programmes with a significant impact on the sector and public policies — synergies with delegated cooperation / blending / Fund for Development Promotion (FONPRODE) to orient investments towards improving the lives of vulnerable populations or ensuring important elements where the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID) provides added value. This line is currently being developed in programmes in Nicaragua, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Paraguay.
- Support for flagship programmes that emphasise strategic value for countries as models to be replicated (e.g., water-energy nexus).